Scottish regulator the Care Inspectorate has published an Open Badge to document staff training in safe staffing.
The badge is part of the regulator’s safe staffing project which is designed to support implementation of the Health and Care (Staffing) (Scotland) Act 2019, which became law in June 2019.
This enshrines in law previous regulatory provisions to provide safe care through adequately trained staffing in adequate numbers. This includes providing time off work.
An Open Badge is a digital certificate which recognises learning and achievement and enables participants to evidence that they have met learning outcomes such as:
- Have knowledge of the Health and Care (Staffing) (Scotland) Act 2019 and the guiding principles and duties
- Map out the relevant policies and procedures relating to safe staffing care settings
- Have knowledge on how the legislation applies to your care setting
- Have knowledge and understanding of how quality improvement and service development will shape safe staffing
- Have knowledge of the local context and professional quality measures of workforce planning in your area.
To earn the Open Badge, participants will be required to attend three online learning sessions and, within three weeks of attending the last session, provide a statement (minimum 50 words), which evidences their learning and in application in practice.