The publication of ratings for care home services and domiciliary support services will be delayed by a year to April 2023, the Welsh care home regulator has announced.
In an initiative designed to support care homes through recovery from COVID-19. Care Inspectorate Wales announced that from April 2023, only silent ratings will be introduced. These are ratings that will be made but not published within inspection reports.
An evaluation will take place in late 2023 to assess inspectors’ consistency of practice in applying ratings as well as assessing the impact on service providers and our inspection teams.
Subject to regulation, published ratings will be implemented from April 2024.
Furthermore, the regulator has said it will delay annual returns until October 2022 and reduce the amount of information required to the following:
- the regulated services the service provider is registered to provide
- the places at, from or in relation to which the provider is registered to provide those services
- the name of the responsible individual designated for each service
- the date of registration for each such regulated service and place
- details of any other conditions on the service provider’s registration
- details of the number of people to whom the provider provided care and support during the year
- a statement setting out how the service provider has complied with the requirements of the regulations
Pre-populated online templates have been produced to reduce the administrative burden on providers.