The aims of the LPS monitoring and reporting system are the following
- People’s human rights are not being breached by them being deprived of their liberty unlawfully
- To provide reassurance that the LPS are operating effectively
- To prevent abuse (aligning with the Operational Protocol to the Convention Against Torture – OPCAT), including unauthorised deprivation of liberty in certain cases
- To oversee, and identify national (Wales level) trends in the operation of the LPS
- To promote improvement through identifying recommendations and sharing effective practice.
The Care Inspectorate, in conjunction with health and education regulators, has developed a short survey on draft strategy.
The survey covers the following three questions:
- Do you think the approach to monitoring and reporting on the Liberty Protection Safeguards is clear in the strategy?
- Will the approach help to provide assurance that Liberty Protection Safeguards are being implemented appropriately in Wales?
- Is there anything we have missed and should be included?
The deadline for submitting responses is 7 July 2022.