A group of 21 adult social care sector representatives have launched an adult social care workforce day of remembrance and reflection.
Taking place in March 2022 (date to be confirmed) the day will include online Memorial and Thank You Walls where people can share a tribute or thank you to anyone in any social care role.
An estimated 922 social care workers in England lost their lives between March 2020 and May 2021.
Supporters are also encouraged to arrange activities to provide an opportunity for remembrance and reflection. Suggested activities include:
- Plant a tree in honour of lost loved ones
- Have a minute’s silence to reflect on the past year
- Write a thank you letter
- Paint something which reflects upon the past year for you
- Consider making a donation to a cause you feel has been vital over the past year.
For social care employers:
- Share a tribute on social media to each of your staff who have worked so hard through the pandemic
- Plan a memorial/tribute for any staff you have lost during the pandemic
- Send each of your staff a personalised letter to thank them for their work
- Arrange a virtual or in-person opportunity for your team to meet up and reflect on the past year together.
For residential care providers:
- Organise an afternoon tea event for your residents to reflect
- Create a memorial garden and plant flowers
- Organise an art workshop where residents can create artwork which reflects on the past year
- Hold a minute’s silence to reflect together.